Saint Patrick's Day is upon us once again. Tomorrow, normally respectable human beings will set their alarm clocks to make sure they wake up early enough on Saturday to be piss-your-green-pants drunk before the parade. These people will flood Market Square adorned with plastic leprechaun hats and carrying yards of green Miller Light. The discussion will begin with surprise and mirth at how early they are drinking and slowly meld into the rich topic of how long they've been drinking. Eventually they will fall into the Sisyphean pattern of waiting in line for beer, carrying your beer to the bathroom line and then directly back to the beer line. After this pattern is identified they will retreat to a nearby bar or Station Square. There, they will slowly sip from the plastic yard cup that has been cutting the edges of their lips all day. Eventually defeat will be admitted and the Irish mob will head home for a "nap" only to wake up at 11pm wondering if calling it a night will mean they are pussies.
So, what time are we meeting, pussies?
I'll bring the cookies.
Soft Shamrock Sugar Cookies
2/3 cup butter flavored shortening
2/3 cup unsalted butter
1 1/2 cup white sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 1/2 cup all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
granulated sugar/ icing for decoration
1. preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Cream together butter, shortening and sugar. Mix in eggs and vanilla. Combine flour, baking powder and salt. Stir into creamed mixture until dough comes together.
3. Put half the dough in the refrigerator. Using the other half roll into buckeye size balls and press into sugar. Place on cookie sheet with parchment or silpat about 2 inches apart.
4. bake for 10 to 12 minutes, cool on wire racks.
5. Remove dough from fridge and roll out. Cut shapes and place on baking sheet.
6. bake for 10-12 minutes (timing will vary based on shape and size)
7. cool on wire racks. ice when cool.